After getting postponed for nearly a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the much-awaited Dubai Expo 2020 has finally opened its door to the people. Slated to run from October 1, 2021, to March 31, 2022, this grand event will be a one-stop shop for shopping, entertainment, food, technology, innovation, and much more. More than 25 million visitors are expected to visit this spectacular exhibition during its six months run. If you are planning a trip to Dubai during these six months, there are many beautiful attractions in store for you. Read on to know more.
About Dubai Expo 2020
It is the first event of a massive scale in the Middle East, North Africa, and South Asia region. Another feather on Dubai’s cap is that it is also the first Arab nation to host an event of this kind. This year’s expo is based on the theme “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future,” where more than 192 countries come together to showcase their culture and innovations for the world to see. Each of these participating countries will have an individual pavilion dedicated for them. Its primary focus is on sub-themes like Sustainability, Opportunity, and Mobility to create opportunities, increase environmental awareness, and display technological advancements.
How can I book tickets to the expo?
The Dubai Expo 2020 tickets are available online on their official website. You can select from a variety of passes and tickets based on your time and convenience.
Top attractions at the Dubai Expo 2020
- The Expo site covers an area of 4.38 sq km and resembles a flower petal when viewed from above. Al Wasl Plaza is a magnificent translucent dome at the center of the venue and is surrounded by waterfalls, art installations, and a lot of greenery. This stunning structure connects the three sub-districts and is a sight to behold.
- The unique logo of the event is another highlight and not to be missed. Its design is inspired by a gold ring that dates to the Iron Age and is more than 4000 years old.
- Designed by Santiago Calatrava, the UAE pavilion is another major attraction. It looks like a falcon in flight, paying ode to the beautiful bird an integral part of the region.
- Al Wasl Opera will be the country’s first opera in multiple languages such as English, Arabic, and Russian. More than 100 musicians and artists will participate in this amazing spectacle, and it must surely be part of your itinerary.
- You can catch a bird’s eye view of the entire venue 55 meters off the ground from the observation deck at Garden in the Sky. Enjoy splendid views of the pavilions, shamianas, domes, parks, and more from this rotating observation tower.
- Visit the US Pavilion to see the SpaceX Falcon rocket artifacts and exhibits, including rock pieces from the moon and the US Mars Rover.
- Head to Germany Pavilion’s cultural lab to see performances of a robot band inspired by Beethoven.
- Listen to some soulful music by the all-women Firdaus Orchestra under the skilled direction of Oscar-winner music maestro A.R. Rehman.
- Admire a five-meter-tall 3D printed copy of Michelangelo’s David at the Italy Pavilion.
- Go on a sightseeing tour on the world’s first air train.
- Enjoy a mesmerizing 360-degree immersive water, light, and fire show created by Game of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi.
Best places to visit in Dubai during the expo
Apart from visiting the Dubai Expo, there are several fantastic attractions you must not miss when you are in Dubai. Here is a list of the top places to visit in Dubai.
This magnificent island is an architectural masterpiece and a brilliant example of human skills. Explore the entire archipelago and enjoy some shopping and food.
The tallest structure on the planet is an engineering marvel and a must-visit when in the city.
The Al Bastakiya Quarters, Dubai Creek, and Souks are the best place to learn about the city’s culture, history, and past. You can also take an abra ride on the creek and buy souvenirs like home decor, perfumes, spices, and footwear from the stalls surrounding the creek.
Dubai Mall is one of the largest in the world, and a trip here is a must for all shopaholics. It also has several entertainment options such as Dubai Aquarium, VR Park, Dubai Fountain, KidZania, and an ice rink.
This waterfront development is dotted with stores, malls, restaurants, boutiques, nightclubs, and bars. It gives you a great insight into the vibrant nightlife of the city.
A trip to Dubai is incomplete without an expedition into the deserts. Book a desert safari and experience top-notch Emirati culture and heritage.
Plan your Dubai holiday soon so that you can enjoy the ultimate global extravaganza and come back with unforgettable memories.