Can you count all those times when your mother reprimanded you for slouching? Can you count all those times when your slouching didn’t make you feel tall, slim, and self-confident? Maybe you didn’t realize the importance of correct body posture during those times, but now you will.
In case you aren’t aware of the side effects of wrong body posture, let us brief you about it. If you don’t correct your body posture, then you will face the following problems –
- Breathing problems
- Cardiovascular ailments
- Low mood
- Indigestion issues
- Fatigue and obesity
- Pain and constriction in nerves
Along with the physical side effects, there is a mental side effect of bad body posture. You will look heavy that will cause body image issues.
Now that you are working from home, it is evident that you are spending most of your time sitting on your desk. Unfortunately, sitting is as dangerous to health as smoking is. Just like the role of fogging machines in salons is compared to a warrior in this time of coronavirus, yoga’s role in fixing your body posture is equally important.
What do you mean by correct body posture?
When your backbone is straight and your shoulders are in a relaxed yet squared position, then your body posture is correct. If it doesn’t come naturally to you, you must make ardently conscious efforts to fix your posture.
How to improve your body posture with yoga during the pandemic?
Do you have a hunchback problem? Has it increased lately during the sedentary lifestyle in the quarantine? If yes, then go through the three yoga postures you can try at home and fix your body posture.
1. Dhanurasana –
You need strength in your spinal cord in this adverse situation because the working hours have extended and you have to spend hours before your laptop and mobiles. So, this back-bending yoga asana which is also called the bow position of yoga will help you gain that strength.
How to do Dhanurasana?
- You have to lie flat on the stomach.
- Keep your right foot away from your left foot, that is, maintain a distance.
- Your feet and your hips should be parallel.
- Place your right arm on your right side and your left arm on your left side.
- The next step is to raise your knees upward and try to touch the ankle with your arms.
- Hold this pose for at least fifteen seconds.
2. Chakravakasana –
This yoga pose is also known as cat-cow asana. This helps in changing the flexion of the spine to an extension of the spine. The target of attack of this pose is the spine and abdomen.
How to do Chakravakasana?
- Keep your legs on the yoga mat while you bend your body like a tabletop.
- Your arms and the floor should be perpendicular to each other.
- Now you have to arch your head forward and downward simultaneously as you stare at the ceiling once and then at the floor.
3. Vasisthasana –
This pose is also known as the side-plank pose in the terms of yoga. There aren’t just physical benefits of this yoga pose but also psychological advantages.
How to do Vasisthasana?
- You have to begin with the yoga pose called the high-plank position.
- Put your entire weight and pressure of the body on your left feet and palm while turning towards the left side.
- Raise your right hand and try to hold your left leg with it while keeping it along your waistline.
- Hold this pose for some time before you decide to release it and repeat the same.
Miscellaneous tips on how to fix your body posture if you can’t do yoga –
- Try your best to not slouch as you do your work or binge-watch a series on Netflix. Why should you make this effort? This is because once you slouch, the flow of oxygen to your brain gets restricted which causes severe headaches.
- There is a correct way to uplift weights. Many people forget that and hurt their backbone which results in wrong body posture. Always keep in mind that you have to bend the knees first and then proceed to bend your backbone.
- Lastly, we advise you not to put the entire weight of your luggage or backpack on one shoulder. Divide the weight equally on both your shoulders.
Practice these poses of yoga for correct body posture –
Beginners in yoga classes ask this question almost always. They want to know if they can become tall through yoga practice. Although this isn’t possible, it is also true that yoga can counteract against the wrong posture, improve it and make you appear taller than you are.
1. Try heart bench pose –
This is a support-based yoga pose. It will make your feel relaxed. You will feel so much at peace that you won’t be able to get out of this pose. This pose can ease out the strain on your body posture after a long car ride or after a long day before your laptop.
2. Gomukhasana –
This exercise is also called the ‘cow-face arms’ yoga pose. One plus side of this pose is that you can do it anytime and anywhere. All you have to do is grab the left arm with the right arm and vice versa. Your left arm should be wrapped around your back. Hold one position for eight to ten seconds. After that, do the same pose with the opposite hands.
3. Ustrasana –
This is a simple back bending pose which is also called the Camel pose in yoga. Your hands must grab your heels. Also, keep in mind that you don’t hold the pose for more than five seconds. If you do otherwise, then this deep bending can cause pain.
4. Viparita Karani –
This yoga pose is also famously known as the ‘Legs Up The Wall’ position. You can get rid of all sorts of inflammation in your legs if you practice this pose regularly. Hold this pose for a maximum of five minutes; not a minute more. Hopefully, your stress level will also be reduced along with the reversal of your wrong body posture.
Final words on how to fix your posture with yoga –
There is too much discomfort when you sit all day in the same position and at the same place. Your back begins to ache and your shoulders begin to slouch. So, we suggest you go through these tips on how to fix your body posture with yoga. Hopefully, this article will help you.