If you are a cloud-service user such as Office 365, it is your responsibility to know how to backup email in Office 365.
When you use Microsoft 365 and its services for email facilities etc. it will keep your data files safe up to some extent.
However, Microsoft has clearly stated a shared responsibility model, according to which, both the user and Microsoft will have to do their part for data protection.
If there are hazards like:
- Hardware or software failure
- Natural calamities
- Errors in Operating System
Microsoft will provide protection again them.
But, if there are troubles like:
- Human errors
- Malicious attacks
- Programmatic errors
- Hackers or virus attacks
- Misconfigured workflows
To backup email from Office 365 becomes important and is what keeps the data safe since Microsoft will not provide protection against such errors.
The easiest and the most used solution for creating an export is the Office 365 Backup Tool which is suggested by experts.
Due to the sensitive information stored in a user’s mailbox, it is highly crucial to keep it safe from any threat leading to data loss or damage.
This is why the best technique for creating a backup is an essential step for which you have to read the entire blog to ensure you choose the right solution.
How to Backup Email in Office 365 Using a Smart Solution?
You can follow these simple steps for downloading data in bulk or as per a certain time period:
- Run the utility and click on the Activate button on the bottom-left corner of the window. Navigate to the Setup tab to choose the Source as Office 365 and Destination as Outlook.
- Then, from the Workload Selection section, choose the Emails category to export data from and apply the Date-filter for selective data export.
- In the Source Window, give in the Office 365 admin credentials and Validate the account. Click on Next to backup email from Office 365.
- After that, choose the Destination and the File Size in the Destination Window for Outlook. Press the Validate button to assign permissions and hit the Next button.
- Go to the Fetch Users option to automatically add the user IDs or you can insert a CSV file consisting of the user IDs by choosing the Import Users option.
- If you want, you can set the priorities for certain mailboxes and hit the Start Backup button.
Benefits of Using the Software as the Preferred Backup Solution
Learning how to backup email in Office 365 via the tool has a lot of advantages as listed below:
- Backup data in bulk from all the mailbox items: Emails, Calendars, Contacts, Documents
- Conversion in Outlook supported file format in a single shot
- Allows exporting data files from Shared Mailboxes as well
- Date-filter permits you to set a time-zone to export data selectively
- Maintains the folder structure and preserves metadata & properties
- Save data on the desired location in batch mode via Concurrent Backup
- Also permits users to restore data, if lost, from the backup
Manual Method to Backup Email from Office 365
This manual approach can be performed by using Microsoft Outlook’s Import/Export feature. The procedure will export data from only one account at a time.
If you have more than one account to transfer the data from, you will have to repeat the same procedure for each account.
To start, first, configure your Exchange Online account with MS Outlook application and then follow the given steps:
- Open MS Outlook on your Windows desktop and click on the File tab.
- Choose the Open & Export option for starting with how to backup email in Office 365 and select the Import & Export feature from the menu.
- When the Import/Export wizard appears, go to the Export to a file option and hit the Next button.
- Then, select the Outlook data file (.pst) option from the given list and click on the Next button.
- Hit the Browse button to add the data files and decide how you want to deal with the duplicates.
- Press Finish to complete the procedure.
The data will take some time to export as per the size of the files.
How to Backup Email in Office 365 Manual Barriers
- This operation can take a lot of time to complete if the amount of data exporting is large.
- There is a prior requirement of a certain amount of technical expertise.
- Can lead to errors during the backup if the file size is too large.
- The possibility of executing the entire procedure again is high if an error occurs.
- Also, there is a high risk of data loss due to the errors or it could get corrupted.
- Becomes a lengthy procedure to backup email from Office 365 if there is more than one account that needs to be exported.
- Doesn’t allow you to filter your data files as per requirement.
There is another procedure i.e. eDiscovery Content Search Tool provided by Microsoft which can help with the export but requires a high level of technical knowledge. Since there are a lot of steps and all are complicated, it is not a recommendation by experts.
Microsoft has clearly stated in their Shared Responsibility Model that they are not responsible for outer threats to the data. If you want to keep your data protected from such risks, you need to know how to backup email in Office 365.
It is hard enough to download all the data from your mailbox to local storage that not every user understands which is why we have explained a simpler approach. It is your choice how you want to create a backup of your data & using which approach.